Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center
175 NW 1st Avenue
Miami FL 33128
Contact Us
Civil Traffic cases for both moving and non-moving traffic violations are heard by Hearing Officers. Excluded are accidents with injuries and all criminal traffic offenses. Hearing Officers also preside over Parking Violations and rule on most civil traffic motions.

Both non-moving violations (such as no seat belt or improper child restraint, etc.) and moving violations (such as speeding, careless driving, etc.) are usually resolved by paying a fine and/or attending traffic school. Jail is not a penalty in these cases. Points may be assessed on your driver’s record for moving violations, but can be eliminated or reduced by attending traffic school, if applicable in your case.

When you pay your traffic fine, you are admitting fault – or pleading guilty. If you feel you are not guilty of the charges, you may request a trial, which is normally heard by the Court’s Traffic Hearing Officers, attorneys who are appointed by the Chief Judge for this purpose. You do, however, have the right to request a trial by a judge. If you fail to pay a traffic fine within the allotted time limit, the amount owed will be referred by the Clerk to a collection agency and there will be additional costs. Also, the State may suspend your license, if you have accumulated an excessive number of points on your driver’s record within a specified period of time.
Related Information
BulletTraffic Online Services

Stay Connected
rss feed icon rss feed icon twitter icon Twitter

Emergency Preparedness
Hotline (305) 349-7777
TDD (305) 349-7174

image of a vwheel chair
Americans with Disabilities Act
Voice Mail (305) 349-7175