Related Information

Civil Traffic Infractions

Civil Traffic cases for both moving and non-moving traffic violations are heard by Hearing Officers. Excluded are accidents with injuries and all criminal traffic offenses. Hearing Officers also preside over Parking Violations and rule on most civil traffic motions.

Both non-moving violations (such as no seat belt or improper child restraint, etc.) and moving violations (such as speeding, careless driving, etc.) are usually resolved by paying a fine and/or attending traffic school. Jail is not a penalty in these cases. Points may be assessed on your driver’s record for moving violations, but can be eliminated or reduced by attending traffic school, if applicable in your case.

When you pay your traffic fine, you are admitting fault – or pleading guilty. If you feel you are not guilty of the charges, you may request a trial, which is normally heard by the Court’s Traffic Hearing Officers, attorneys who are appointed by the Chief Judge for this purpose. You do, however, have the right to request a trial by a judge. If you fail to pay a traffic fine within the allotted time limit, the amount owed will be referred by the Clerk to a collection agency and there will be additional costs. Also, the State may suspend your license, if you have accumulated an excessive number of points on your driver’s record within a specified period of time.