Sunday, May 26, 2024

County Criminal Traffic Cases

The County Court Criminal Division consists of minor criminal misdemeanor cases, criminal traffic matters, municipal and county ordinance violations, such as boating and wildlife violations. Minor criminal misdemeanor cases includes violations such as petit theft, simple battery and trespassing. Criminal Traffic matters, includes violations for DWLS( Driving While license suspended ), DUI (Driving under the influence), NVDL(No valid drivers license) . Criminal Traffic matters as well as minor misdemeanor violations ,are exclusively handled by Judges and may be punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for less than one year.

Since these violations require a mandatory court appearance, you will be notified by mail of your future court date, which will include the date, time, location and judge assigned on the case. For more information regarding a criminal misdemeanor or.criminal traffic case, please visit the Clerk of Court website.

Criminal Traffic/Criminal Misdemeanor cases are more serious than civil infractions and require a court hearing before a judge. Penalties may include jail time, but most sentences in criminal traffic matters involve the payment of fines and court costs and/or completion of a rehabilitative program and/or traffic school program may also be required. Also, suspension of your license is a possibility, depending on the violation and/or the number of points on your driver’s record during a given period of time.

For information on paying your fines and costs, please visit the clerk of courts website.

You will receive a notice in the mail listing the time, date and court location of your hearing. If you fail to appear in court, a bench warrant will be issued and that could lead to your arrest.

For Criminal Traffic or Criminal Misdemeanor cases, you will need to first attend an arraignment hearing, and enter your plea of guilty, not guilty or nolo contendre. If you enter a not guilty plea, you will be scheduled for a trial at a later date and will be sent a notice by mail of your future court date. If you enter a guilty plea or nolo contendre you will be given the penalties that are appropriate for the charge.

If you do not appear for your scheduled hearing, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. You must contact the judge’s judicial assistant to request to be placed on a motion calendar to set aside the warrant. The judge assigned to your case is indicated on the notice for court that you received. To contact the judge assigned to your case, please refer to the Judicial Directory in the 11th Judicial website.

For additional information about your criminal charge, please visit the Clerk of Court website.

Back To Top